We really have failed at keeping this blog up-to-date. You'd think a new semester would mean new posts, but unfortunately, the new semester has really only meant new levels of work for both C and me. Example A is the fact that I stayed in last night, doing work and later treating myself to the latest episode of Jersey Shore. Example B is the fact that I did some work today and will still be staying in tonight, maybe even getting a little crazy with a movie(!) and a drink(!!!). The adventure of the night was a trip to the grocery store with Lee. Let me tell you - we both felt really cool carrying our grocery bags into our dorm as large huddles of girls/clones came out dressed to the nines, smelling like baby prostitutes and clacking their heels in sync like horses leading a carriage. Actually, when I put it like that, maybe I did feel cool compared to them. Because even though I don't always look dashing, I feel like it is at least possible to tell me apart from most other girls (except Ellen, since everyone already thinks we are the same person). And I kind of prefer that to looking just like everyone else.
As I'm sure you have all remembered by now, Valentine's Day/Singles Awareness Day is the day after tomorrow. I would probably be a bit more bitter about it if I didn't already know that Paul is sending me some strictly friendly gifts and if I wasn't freaking out about the four midterms I have this week, starting - you guessed it - on V-Day.
Anyway, those of you who know me know that my opinions on a lot of things are constantly changing as I learn more and live more. After much contemplation (about five minutes' worth), I have formulated my latest stance on Valentine's Day. Is the commercialism silly? Yes. Was it invented by Hallmark and Hershey's? Maybe. Is it entirely phony though? I don't really think so, not anymore. I hate the stuffed animals and shitty chocolates as much as the next Valentine's Scrooge, but what's wrong with showing a little extra love? True, Valentine's Day should be every day; every day should be an opportunity to show your loved ones how you feel about them. But I think I admire most the new loves that Valentine's Day can spark. Admit that the little 3rd-grade boys sticking candy in their crushes' lockers are adorable. Try to tell me that the old man buying his wife's favorite flowers for her is not one of the most beautiful gestures you've ever seen. I know this sounds like a sappy and pathetic combo of Love Actually and Valentine's Day (basically the same things, anyway), but seriously, what's wrong with love?! Just because I currently view love as a torture device because I'm not getting any of it in the romantic sense doesn't mean that I am going to be a bitter Betty about people who are! Bring on the flowers, bring on the jewels, bring on the paper cards, bring on the LOVE. Is it silly that people these days have to resort to showing love via candy and cupcakes and cards and stuffed animals? Probably. But the holiday is about love. So show some, and stop hating on all the lovebirds.
Also, try watching this video and telling yourself that you don't have renewed faith in humanity after seeing it:
V-Day love,
M.
No comments:
Post a Comment